Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shocked!

I am absolutely shocked by the way people are treating Joel Northrup. In case you haven't been near a TV, a radio, or on the internet today. He is the sophomore from Lin-Mar who opted to default his first-round match rather than wrestle a girl in the Iowa State High School Wrestling Tournament.

I applaud him for taking a stand, standing firm in his faith, and making this decision even though he may have given up a state wrestling title because of it...and is now facing national media attention.

Just from my limited exposure on Face Book, I think I'm in the MINORITY when I say I am impressed by what he did!??!?! Really????

I don't have time to list my reasons why I believe he made the correct choice, but read this blog post.

Here is the statement the young man released to the press:
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for [Cassy] and [Ottumwa's Megan Black, the other state qualifier] and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other High School sports in Iowa.”

I doubt many young people today even have convictions, let alone be willing to defend them in such a public arena.

Here is another good story.


****I just found THIS!!! Reassuring to know that I'm in good company with my opinion!****

In my opinion, he is a shining star in a crooked and depraved generation.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe”
Philippians 2: 14-15


2 comments:

Liz said...

I FINALLY read your blog.... I dont know how you find time to keep it :) but anyways, had to write in that i TOTALLY agree with you about the wrestler!!! what a great kid - that really takes some convictions to forfeit a potential state championship- cause guess he was really good... I hope our boys, when they are that age, would act exactly like that :) well, actually, they had better be playing basketball not wrestling, but you know what i mean lol...

Jennifer said...

Love that John Piper! Totally agree, Jess.