Thursday, January 19, 2012

Smoothies

This is the easiest way to get more fruit and veggies into our menu.

I use fresh spinach, frozen bananas, frozen mixed fruit, frozen juice concentrate and water.



This tip saves time and makes the consistency of the smoothie SO much better! The almost too ripe bananas on my counter, get sliced/chunked up, placed on a plate in a single layer, and then placed in the freezer. Once frozen, I pry them off the plate and put in a ziploc. Then I can just throw a few in the blender. I used to just use the bananas from the counter, but the consistency is so much better when they are frozen.




Pre-blend.
Spinach leaves on bottom, then frozen fruit and bananas, a spoonful of frozen juice concentrate and fill about 1/3 full with water. This is NOT an exact science, the smoothie comes out a little different each time. I have put carrots in before, I've experimented with various fruit/veggie combinations, and they almost always come out good. You can add yogurt, different flavors of juice, the possibilities are ENDLESS. Just find what works for you. Blueberries make it a great blue/purple color, but their little seeds don't grind up well, so sometimes Grant won't drink those, but I think they are great!




Breakfast for the kids....who knew they'd LOVE spinach for breakfast :)



YUM!

No comments: