Monday, October 11, 2010

Missing him!!!!

This might get a little sappy, so don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm really missing my husband today. I don't know if it is the fact that the leaves are turning beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow, the fact that the kids and I went to Larry Joe and Jean's and picked our pumpkins yesterday, the fact that hunting season is underway, or the fact that a friend thanked me for having such a great husband (because of something he did for her husband)...but whatever the reason, I MISS HIM!!!!

Fall is our favorite season, despite the fact that it often finds Lee in a tree stand and me wishing he wasn't there. Right now, I'd give a million dollars to have him in a tree stand instead of packing a ruck sack to go to Afghanistan (someone remind me of this next year, please)!!! We usually decorate the front porch with pumpkins, gourds, hay bales, corn stocks and mums. This year, the pumpkins are there...but nothing else. We usually go for evening drives on gravel roads to look for deer, not exactly my kind of fun right now. We usually have fires in the fire pit on the deck while sharing a bottle of wine...I don't even have the energy to open the bottle let alone start a fire. We usually go out to dinner for my birthday and I tell him not to buy a gift, but secretly hope that he does (and he always does!).

It's crazy how life can be so "normal" yet so radically different at the same time. Fall is here, my birthday is around the corner, the trees are beautiful, the guys are hunting, the kids are playing outside...but it's just not the same! I miss the stability that Lee provides, his motivation for getting things done, his honest and up front assessment of life and events. I miss his help, his leadership, his strength, his presence in our lives...I MISS MY HUSBAND!!! I guess the old saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is true!

Please, pray that I will find joy in the changing of seasons and that I will rely on God to fill the void I'm feeling. He is the one who ultimately provides stability, strength, and love...along with so much more.

This is my verse for today:

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”

Romans 12:12




Below are pictures from Larry Joe and Jean Vandewater's house, always a fun time!!!


Finding the perfect pumpkin, with help from her big brother.


Just her size.


Found a keeper!


Sitting in the back of the truck with all the pumpkins.


Mower, wagon, and home made "car" called 'The Thing'!
Never a dull moment with the Vandewater's!


3 comments:

heather said...

jessica~ thinking of you and your family. praying that the next few months pass quickly but not too quickly that you don't enjoy the time with your kids. i miss chris when he is gone for a week or so at a time for hunting or work. can't imagine what you must be feeling. all i can say is i will continue to pray for you and your family:)

Kristi L said...

Hey Jess - your post made me cry, seriously. I think I have had everyone of those emotions today :( The pumpkin patch was so hard this year without Jason, I couldn't even buy a pumpkin so good for you for getting a few on your porch! Hang in there, it's going to be a tough year but it will make us stronger (at least I keep telling myself that). the fall is my favorite time of the year too and not being able to enjoy it with the hubs doesn't even make it enjoyable. hope tomorrow is better!

Steph said...

:(