Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grant is a "concrete thinker"

So, an update on preschool...
Grant's getting better and hasn't asked to leave in the middle of class since the first day. He really enjoys playing with the new toys and is even getting a little better at sharing with the other kids.
However, craft time is not going well! He is an absolute "concrete thinker"...meaning, he sees a paper plate as ONLY a paper plate, etc. Today we were learning the letter "C" and were supposed to be making a cat face out of a small paper plate and various shapes. I tried to get him to glue the "eyes" on the plate...he refused! When I stuck them on myself, he peeled them right back off! I showed him the other kids cat creations...and he still didn't care. He said, "no, plate!"
We had the same problem at our zoo class last week. We were making jelly fish out of a styrofoam bowl and streamers. He was really stressed that the bowl was upside down and that we were taping streamers to it! He pulled a few off before I convinced him he should leave them on because were making something cool.
Oh well, artistic talent doesn't really run in the family anyway :)

No comments: